The storms of marriage are inevitable, but they don’t have to sink the marital ship. Here’s 10 tips to weathering marital storms without throwing your spouse overboard!
- Allow for “temporary insanity” in your mate. No one is perfect all of the time.
- Recognize and accept that anger is a natural emotion. Emotions are neither bad or good-they just are.
- Assume the best about your partner. Give him/her the benefit of the doubt.
- Give your mate the right to have contradictory or conflicting emotions. He/she is not a robot.
- Don’t attempt to cure marital conflict with a new baby, new home, relocation, etc. Deal with the issues instead of putting a band-aid on them.
- Be the first to make a change. Someone has to be the hero in the relationship.
- Know that your mate’s unhappiness isn’t always your fault, or even about you. Don’t take everything so personally.
- Resist the impulse to give up-practice tolerance. No problem exists 100% of the time.
- Do not discuss divorce unless you really mean it. Words cannot be un-said.
- Stop destroying and start building. Believe that it will get better and make it happen.
If you and your partner need help navigating the murky waters of marriage, call or email me for a free telephone consultation today!